I spent the day around animals yesterday. I volunteered as an adoption counselor at the local animal care center. Then I came home to my dog and three cats. There's nothing like a dog who is happy to see you. I'm not sure how Honey spend her time when I'm gone except that sometimes I've come home to find various things scattered on the floor. I now make sure things are up where she can't reach them if they might be at all interesting to a dog.
It makes me happy to help people pick out their new cats or dogs and to see these animals go to homes. When people come in I greet them and ask them if they are looking to adopt. I ask them if they know what they are looking for and then help them if I am able. Sometimes people are very open to a type, age, etc. Many times people only want puppies or kittens. Occasionally people come in wanting seniors or the difficult-to-adopt. The center needs all of these people!
The center is usually overflowing with animals who we are trying to find homes for. It takes a certain mindset to contain your sadness or anger about the animals who have lived in the center a long time. I have to remind myself that humans can only do what they can with the money, information, etc. that they are given and sometimes it means they give up their pets. It also takes a certain amount of willpower not to adopt those "last-chance" animals. I know because I just adopted one two weeks ago.
There are a few things I'd like to impart to pet owners if I may. Please spay or neuter your pets. Really, there's no excuse with low or no-cost spay and neuter clinics. Overpopulation is very real and you may not notice it until you go to all the many shelters, centers, rescue groups, sanctuaries, etc.
Secondly, just like with health care for people nowadays, it pays to research ways to keep your pet healthy and, if the pet has an illness, ways to care for it within your budget. For instance, I know how to buy grain-free pet food cheaper now through Chewy.com and through sales. Also, I learned that there was $25 per vial insulin rather than the $175 per vial insulin that the doctor was selling me. The doctor did not give me other options. They often won't. They are not necessarily concerned with your budget. This is where it pays to ask questions and research information online and through networking.
Pets are not "until" animals. You shouldn't have them until you move to Florida or get a boyfriend. You shouldn't have them until you they no longer fit into your lifestyle. They have feelings and bond to us humans when we give them food, water, affection and entertainment. Luckily, they are resilient too and will survive the very stressful environment of the animal shelter. But, still, the sooner we get them out of there the better.
No comments:
Post a Comment