Checkout Charity--when they ask you for a buck or two while you're checking out at the grocery store. Usually for prostate cancer or breast cancer or MS or something. What do you think about this practice? Well, here are my thoughts.
I think it benefits the brands or organizations--these places we shop--a lot. They are giving money to various charities in their names but using the dollars donated by customers. Reminds me of when I'd work at places and United Way would come in and give big presentations asking us to donate a part of our bi-weekly checks. I always wanted to yell out, "Why are you asking us? We make a dollar or two over minimum wage, at best. Why don't you ask the people who make money off our work--the upper management, owners, stockholders, etc? They are the ones who get to humble-brag about how much their workplace gives back to the community and tell reporters who they are doing good in the world (while make tons of money and not paying their workers appropriate wages). Also, don't forget these companies get a huge tax write-off for donating. Wouldn't you rather get that for yourself?
Another thing I'd like to know: where are the checks and balances sheets? How do we know this money does indeed go to what is said? Also, don't forget these companies get a huge tax write-off for donating. Wouldn't you rather get that for yourself?
Just yesterday, I went to Lowe's for some paint and some clearance-priced garden stuff. After checking out I was stopped by someone who wanted my checking account information right then and there to commit me to giving "just $30 a month" to help children. I said," I don't feel comfortable giving you that information. Is there a website I can go to?" The answer was a resounding no. He was here just for the day and he got credit for signing people up. Now, who doesn't want to help children?? But I wasn't born yesterday.
Sometimes I just want to stop going to stores and shop online. Hey, wait, have they started asking for donations at online shopping sites yet?
No comments:
Post a Comment