Monday, November 1, 2010

Donut Stories


1. My friend Karen(in her 30s but from a small town) had never been to a donut shop before a couple of weeks ago. After our book group, a friend and I took her over to Voodoo Donuts. We all agreed her donut-shop devirginization received an A+. Not only did she get a couple of good donuts--maple bar with bacon was one--but a punk looking 20-something woman told us at the door that we were 86d and couldn't go in. We thought she was talking to us, but she was talking to a woman who was trying to mix in with our group so she wouldn't be caught going in. She wanted a straw or a spoon or something. I asked the employee what you had to do to get bounced from a donut shop and she said she came in earlier to hide from the cops that were after her. Other great things about V. Donuts are their revolving donut case and that they rent the place out for weddings. Also, I don't normally like donuts, but I loved their jelly-filled vanilla frosted.

2. When I was pregnant with LeeAnn, Gordon (the dad) and I lived apart for the first few months--I mean different states. Once he overnight Fed-Exed me a few applesauce donuts (perfect when you're not feeling well) from a bakery he knew I liked. The cost of the shipping came to several times the amount of the donuts, I'm sure. It was a nice gesture but one that should have warned me he had spending problems.

3. The best donuts on earth are at the Daily Dozen at the Pike Place Market in Seattle. They make these little donuts right there, I mean, right in front of your eyes. The donuts come out of these machine all fried and hot. Long lines in the summer but well worth is. Eat 'em fresh or don't eat 'em at all. My fave is the powdered.

1 comment:

  1. You're writing again...that's great!
    My favorite donut is a tiger bar from Roth's IGA bakery...a maple bar, but also has chocolate icing with the maple! Yum! Haven't had one in years! Wish we lived closer...would love another craft day. Maybe in the spring?
    Love You!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete