Friday, October 29, 2010

How to Beat the Winter Blues


I've had the winter blues for as long as I can remember. This year, in addition to the usual coping mechanisms, I bought a 10,000 lux therapy light. It's by "Nature Bright" and it seems to be doing the job, so far. I place it on my side table and leave it on for 30 minutes in the morning. The light reflects off the book I'm reading and I also receive light via peripheral vision. Closing your eyes won't work, the product manual states, as you need the light to touch your eyes. Staring at the light also won't work as these are some bright lights that will have you dizzy if you look straight at them for more than a few seconds.

Other coping mechanisms are tried and true. Going on walks outside, no matter that the sun isn't out, helps me keep my energy up. Fun activities with friends also helps to boost my spirits; this year I'm scheduling regular "Crafting Gals" meetings and taking advantage of all the free and cheap activities around town. In the past, when I've had a regular income, I've taken vacations to southern places. That seems to help the best of all. My ideal life would include sunny autumns and winters in Mexico, then spring/summer in the Pacific Northwest.

Then there are the days when I give myself over to hibernation for a day or two. My soft comforter, a book, lots of sleep, a couple of cats. Sometimes the winter blues are just too hard to fight.




No comments:

Post a Comment