Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Where Have You Been? Where Do You Want to Go?











I sometimes think about places I'd like to explore. Especially during Oregon's long winters, it helps me cope to have adventures in my mind. Really, there are too many places to list here, so instead I'll talk about some unusual vacation options for those who have the time and the money!

1. Quebec's Ice Hotel: Pay a lot of money to sleep on a bed made of ice! Use a toilet made of ice! Pay a lot of money to be very cold! But it looks beautful--all that ice.

2. For $200,000 per person, SpaceShipTwo (built by Scaled Composites in Mojave, California) will carry just six passengers in reclining seats for the 2.5-hour flight to the edge of Earth (about 60,000 feet). There they can gaze at the curvature of the Earth and the cosmos above.

3. Dubai: Mystery Island, the still-secret site will spread over 225 acres and comprise 24 underwater suites, each submerged in 40 feet of water. The facility will also include a revolving restaurant and bar, a spa, and 27 over-water bungalows with see-through floors. The price: $15,000 per person for seven days, which includes two nights in a beach villa, two nights in an over-water bungalow and two nights in an underwater suite.

4. Out 'n' About Treehouse Resort: Ah, one my daughter has actually been to (well, just to use the ziplines) & that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Located in Siskyou National Forest, close to Cave Junction. You can actually stay there--for family of 4--for about $200 per night! According to the website: There is an inherent risk associated visiting a total of 18 different treehouses and a host of platforms (a few almost 40+ feet up the tree), a few child size forts, seven swinging bridges (8' to 32' off the ground and 12' to 90' long), five swings plus the Giant Tarzan, 20 flights of stairs, four ladders and an unbeatable collection of zipline courses with over a mile of TreehouseZiplines.

Now, not to be outdone by lack of time and money, I will list 4 "out-of-the-box" things I could do in Eugene area really cheap!

1. Visit the Whiteaker Neighborhood with my camera and record a photo journey. Lots of creativity in this neighborhood. Have a late breakfast at Brown Betty's Cafe.

2. Hop a freight train at the train yard, get off in the Glenwood area, visit BRING recycling, then take the EmEx back downtown.

3. Go on a mural hunt: track down just how many murals this town has!

4. Bike to Springfield from Eugene, along the river. Explore Spgld's new and improved downtown area. Eat at the new Mom's Place Soul Food Restaurant.
Don't worry friends, I probably won't do the hop the frieght train one, although I am curious!


1 comment:

  1. Oh good! I was hoping you weren't serious about the freight train since that can get you arrested (besides potentionally dangerous)! Wow, some of those vacations are for the extremely rich! I would love to go back to England and this time Jay would be with me! Realistically, would love to explore more of WA & OR, especially up where Grampa was born.
    Love, Betsy

    ReplyDelete