Monday, September 28, 2009

Fun Stuff from a 1953 Cookbook


The Modern Family Cookbook by Meta Given

I swear, if you want to know what life is about during any given era, just open up a cookbook!
The introduction to this one says, "Mrs. Homemaker, this book is written for you...in full appreciation of your problems of running a house." The Meal Planner's Creed includes: "My family's enjoyment of food is my responsibility; the health of my family is in my care; my family's health, security, and pleasure depend on my skill in planning meals." Remember, this was in the Eisenhower era, when women had a taste of the work world during the war but were strongly encouraged to go back to their "domestic sphere" and let the men have the jobs.

In the Candy section, Given writes that candy can be good for children as long as it doesn't interfere with them eating their regular meals, but she says to the women, "as for yourself, Mother--just take a good look in the mirror and make your own decision!" I only agree with the make your own decision part.

Check out the recipes: Under sandwiches (more commentary by the author, "Take women's funny hats and fussy party sandwiches out of the world and what would men have to laugh about?") there's bacon and peanut butter sandwiches, ham and banana sandwiches, and broiled sardine sandwiches. I'm gonna base on the broiled sardine sandwich, thanks much.

The soup section isn't bad--lentil, navy bean, onion, corn chowder, clam chowder, etc.--as is the dessert section--Dutch Apple Cake, Brown Petty, Old Fashioned Rice Pudding.

I love cookbooks and this one is fun to read both for its recipes and for the commentary by the author.

3 comments:

  1. I love bacon & peanut butter sandwiches!
    Only indulge about once a year though.
    Love the old cookbook...thanks for sharing!

    Love, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. how come i can't click on the survey? i was going to choose bacon and banana... not that i actually want to eat that, but because it's the least disgusting sounding of the choices :)

    -d

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for the broiled sardine sandwich! Top it off with some hot sauce, and voila!
    Sounds yummy (really!)
    -Yer twinster :)

    ReplyDelete