Thursday, August 27, 2009

Shelter







One of my favorite books is called Shelter. I know it's at the Eugene Public Library, but you may have to put in on hold as it's quite popular. The photographs inspire me to be more creative with my home furnishings. They also expand my horizons about what dwellings means to individuals and to cultures. Many of the people profiled in the book are craftspeople and artists. You'll be amazed at people's creative visions and that they can actually oftentimes make these visions concrete! I highly recommend this book. ~Karol
Here's the website, to read about or purchase the book: http://www.shelterpub.com/_shelter/shelter_book.html

Shelter, first published in 1973, but recently updated, has over 1,000 photographs of dwellings from around the world. here are some of the dwellings:
Caves
Huts
Dogon
Masai, Ethopian, Kabre dwellings
Iron Age Huts
Tin and Thatch
Tents
Tuareg
Bedouin
Tekna
Yurts
Early Timber
Sheds
Hexagon Barn
Floors and Footings
Concrete Floors
Windows and Doors
Roofing and Skylights
Tools and Tips
Japanese Homes
Shakes and Shingling
Eucalyptus Lumber
Saplings
Timber-frame
Mortise and Tenon
Cinva-Ram
Stone
Baled Hay
Plaster
Sod
Canvas
Hawaiian Lashing
Reed
Bamboo
Thatching
Wrecking and Salvage
Earth Shelters
Housetrucks
Houseboats, Junks
Treehouses
Carpenter Gothic
Dome
Log
Adobe
Zomes
Solar Water Heaters
Solar Energy
Windmills





3 comments:

  1. I like to look at these creative ideas, but as to your poll, I don't like heights and I'm claustrophobic! What did you choose?

    Love, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose an 800 foot cottage as I've been looking at "Living in Small Spaces" books and there are a lot of ideas for hidden-away storage and stuff. You'd be amazed at what you can put in 800 feet of space! K

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 2 bedroom house is not much more than 800 square feet, not counting the garage which is mostly just storage for toys, tools, seasonal items, etc.
    So I chose "where you're living now".

    ReplyDelete